Monday, August 18, 2014

Why I Refused the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge...and Did Not Donate Money.

The ice bucket challenge is all over Facebook these days and while raising awareness and money for a good cause, and ALS certainly is, the challenge irks me. I do not believe people should be pressured into donating, shamed for not, or donating because it is the trend of the moment. Donations should be made because you want to, you are passionate about a cause, or you have educated yourself on the issue and want to make a difference.

I chose not to do the challenge and not to donate because ALS doesn't particularly speak to me. It is a very serious disease and is definitely a worthy cause, however I cannot donate to every cause I think is worthy. I live on a budget, with little left over every month, but every year I still donate hundreds of dollars and countless hours for causes I truly care about.

When I donate my money I try to stay local, especially when it comes to local SPCAs and Food Pantries. I also donate time to prep and deliver food for Meals on Wheels locally. I wish I could donate to every cause, but I can't.

If you accept the ice bucket challenge good for you. Do the challenge and donate what you can, but please also educate yourself as to what ALS is if you are unaware. I have seen a lot of people do the challenge and have no idea what ALS is, many also do not donate to the cause.  ALS is not a joke and the challenge should not be just a fun new trend, follow through, raise awareness, and help educate. For whatever reason if you don't care enough to donate then don't accept the challenge, find another cause you can get behind and help there.

For more information or to donate see the ALS Association's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment